Effective, July 6, 1990, Pursuant to La. RS 40:2116,the Louisiana Department of Health, in accordance with the Administrative Procedure Act, has established a facility need review process consistent with the regulations for licensure for facilities and for Title XIX of the Social Security Act. The Louisiana Department of Health does not issue nor has a requirement for certificate of need (CON) for licensed health care entities.
Facility Need Review (FNR) is a process that specific provider types must complete prior to applying for initial licensure in the state of Louisiana.
Facility Need Review (FNR) - a review conducted for nursing facility beds (including skilled beds, IC-I and IC-II beds), intermediate care facility for the developmentally disabled beds, Home and Community Based Services (Supervised Independent Living, Personal Care Attendant Services and Respite), Adult Day Health Care facilities and Adult Residential Care units, and Behavioral Health Service providers (CPST and/or PSR) to determine whether there is a need for additional beds and/or providers to be licensed and/or to be enrolled to participate in the Medicaid Program.
Frequently Asked Questions
Checking the Status of your FNR Application
- Read and review the Facility Need Review Rule (LAC 48:1 Chapter 125). Please read the Facility Need Review Rule to determine what documentation is required to submit with your FNR application. The FNR Rule provides all information regarding the FNR process for the following
- Initial Application
- Change of Ownership (CHOW)
- Change of Location:
- A Provider undergoing a change of location within the same licensed service area shall submit a signed attestation/letter of the change of location with the license number, state ID, old address, and new address. E-mail the signed attestation/letter to: HSSFNRProgram@la.gov
- A Provider undergoing a change of location outside of the licensed service area shall submit a new FNR application, documentation and appropriate fee and undergo the FNR approval process.
- Supplemental Information Review- Within 30 days of receipt of the notice of denial of FNR approval, and prior to filing an administrative appeal, to request a supplemental review you can email your request to HSSFNRProgram@la.gov
- Administrative Appeals
- FNR Fee:
- The $200 fee is non-refundable.
- The check or money order must be accompanied by HSS Payment Transmittal form that is found on the HSS Payment Procedure website.
- Make payment out to: LDH (Louisiana Department of Health)
- Mail payment to: LDH Licensing Fee, P.O. Box 734350, Dallas, TX 75373-4350
- FNR Applicants who prefer to send express mail must do so by using either US Postal Services Priority Mail® or Priority Mail Express®.
- FNR Application and Documentation
- Mail your application and documentation to: Health Standards Section, P.O. Box 3767, Baton Rouge, LA 70821.
- Documentation to submit: Refer to the Facility Need Review Rule (LAC 48: 1 Chapter 125). Please read the Facility Need Review Rule to determine what documentation is required to submit with your FNR application listed below.
- Provider types listed below must apply for and receive FNR approval before submitting an application for initial licensure to Health Standards Section:
- ADHC- Adult Day Health Care
- ARCP- Adult Residential Care Provider
- *ICF/DD - Intermediate Care Facilities/Developmentally Delayed- currently under moratorium
- *Nursing Facilities- currently under moratorium
- HCBS- Home and Community Based Services
- HCBS FNR Application for HCBS that provide any of the following service modules:
a. PCA - Personal Care Attendant
b. SIL - Supervised Independent Living
c. Respite Care
d. MIHC - Monitored In-Home Caregiving
- HCBS website
- PDHC- Pediatric Day Health Care
- BHSP- Behavioral Health Service Providers-
- BHSP FNR Application for BHSP adding at least one of the following services:
- CPST- Community Psychiatric Support and Treatment service
- PSR- Psychosocial Rehabilitation service
Any other questions regarding the FNR process that are not listed on this website, please send an email to HSSFNRProgram@la.gov or contact Dasiny Davis at 225-342-0454.
Website last updated: August 12, 2019
Click here to return to the Health Standards Section website