Family Support Services
It can be difficult to find out what services and support children and youth with special health care needs and their families require. In addition to our regional CSHS clinics, we have the following programs in place to help navigate resources and provide emotional support to those that need it.
Family Resource Center at Children’s Hospital
|Family Resource Center at Children's Hospital|
The Family Resource Center (FRC) at Children’s Hospital connects Louisiana families of children and youth with special health care needs to resources in their communities and around the state. They have staff that work primarily in outpatient clinics to provide perspective and resource information, and youth liaison to provide peer-to-peer mentoring to those receiving inpatient rehab. The FRC also links families to their local Families Helping Families center for ongoing support. Some of the services the FRC provides to support families are:
- Connect parents to school related resources
- Provide resources for transitioning from youth to adulthood
- Link families to state and national resources
- Connect parents to parent driven support groups
- Provide information on local interventions, supports, and recreational opportunities
- Assist healthcare staff in linking families to resources
The FRC is located within Children’s Hospital in New Orleans in Suite 2020. Click here for the address and contact information.
Parent Liaison Program
Each regional CSHS clinic, and the CSHS Family Resource Center at Children’s Hospital, has a Parent Liaison on staff to help families of children and youth with special health care needs navigate services and provide support. Our CSHS Parent Liaisons have the knowledge and skills to work with other parents who have children with special health care needs.
A Parent Liaison can help you and your child by:
- Assisting in accessing services
- Providing emotional support
- Referring you and your family to medical and support services
- Creating parent and professional collaboration
- Connecting you and your family to other parents with children and youth with special health care needs
Find out who the Parent Liaison is in your region! Click here for a listing of their contact information.