Louisiana State Loan Repayment Program
The purpose of the Louisiana State Loan Repayment Program (SLRP) is to encourage primary care providers to serve in health professional shortage areas (HPSAs). For the purpose of recruitment under this program, eligible healthcare practitioners include physicians (allopathic or osteopathic) who have completed a residency in family practice, general practice, obstetrics/gynecology, internal medicine, pediatrics, or general psychiatry and dentists (DDS or DMD general or pediatric). Other eligible health care professionals include primary care physician assistants, certified nurse practitioners, certified nurse midwives, registered clinical dental hygienists, licensed clinical or counseling psychologists (Ph.D. or equivalent required), health service psychologists (Ph.D. or equivalent required), psychiatric nurse specialists, licensed professional counselors (Masters or Ph.D. required), marriage and family therapists (Masters or Ph.D. required) and licensed clinical social workers (Master or Ph.D. required). The mission of the program is to alleviated, and ultimately overcome, the state's problem of a substantial mal-distribution of primary care health professionals in rural and inner city areas.
- Work in a federally-designated HPSA;
- Work for a public or nonprofit entity;
- Work full-time (40 hours per week) in an outpatient capacity:
- Accept assignments of Medicare, Medicaid:
- Have a sliding-fee scale for low-income, uninsured patients;
- Be a United States citizen;
- Licensed to practice in Louisiana;
- Have no other obligation for health professional services;
- Have not defaulted on educational loans; and
- Have not breached a health professional service contract.
To enhance the provision of the health care services, the program will repay governmental or commercial educational loans obtained by the practitioner. Physicians and dentists can receive up to $30,000 annually for a three (3) year initial commitment. Other professionals can receive up to $15,000 annually for a three (3) year initial commitment.
Participants who complete their original commitment, remain in an eligible site in a HPSA, still have educational loans to repay and have been compliant with all requirements may be able to extend their commitment with a two (2) year renewal.
NOTE: Applications will be accepted beginning April 1 - July 1, 2019. If incomplete application packets are submitted, they will not be considered. Please ensure your guidance is dated for the correct year.
STATE LOAN REPAYMENT PROGRAM RESOURCES
- 2019 State Loan Repayment Program Application Guidance (The application will be available on April 1, 2019):
- 2019 SLRP Guidance (*.pdf version)
- 2019 Application Documents
For additional information, contact:
LDH Division of Primary Care and Prevention Services
P.O. Box 3118, Baton Rouge, LA 70821-3118
Toll Free 1-844-522-4323