Nurse Aide (CNA) Training and Certification
A certified nurse aide (CNA) is an individual who has completed a nurse aide training and competency evaluation program (NATCEP) approved by the State as meeting the requirements of 42 CFR 483.151 - 42 CFR 483.154 or who has been determined competent as provided in 42 CFR 483.150(a) and (b). Nurse aides meeting these requirements are listed as certified on the Louisiana Nurse Aide Registry.
Nurse Aide Training:
- Fees not applicable (DHH does not charge fees for nurse aide training programs/schools seeking program approval.)
- Regulations - State and federal regulations for training and certification
- Nurse Aide Training Programs (NATP)- Information for new and current NAT programs.
- LARS (Louisiana Registry System) for CNAs & Employers
- Register with LARS
- Keep your contact info current
- Ensure you receive alerts and notifications
- Employer Benefits:
- Electronic NAT-7 forms (Hardcopies of the NAT-7 form are not required for current employees.)
- Listing of nurse aides on registry who are currently employed by your facility
- Efficiencies that save time and money while improving accuracy
- Nurse Aide Certification - Test for Recertification
- Nurse Aide (CNA) Reciprocity
- Train the Trainer Instructors
- Directory of State Registries
- National Practitioner Data Bank (NPDB) & Healthcare Integrity and Protection Data Bank (HIPDB)
- Frequently Asked/Common Questions
Emergency Preparedness - Online Verification of Nurse Aide Certification
Online verification of certification for aides in Louisiana is available at www.dhh.la.gov/cnadsw. This website is to be used when verification is required on a regular basis and during an emergency.
Aides from other states must be certified in their home state in order to work in Louisiana during an emergency. Providers may use the Directory of State Registries to contact out-of-state certification authorities and verify the certification. The aide may work in Louisiana during an emergency for up to 30 days, using the verification of certification from their home state. If the aide wishes to work more than 30 days during the emergency or afterwards, they must apply for reciprocity with the Louisiana Nurse Aide Registry.
FOR MORE INFORMATION CONTACT
Ash-Leigh Garcia, RN, Program Manager
Phone: (225) 342-5779
Fax: (225) 342-5073