Acknowledgment of Paternity: Child Born Outside of Marriage
Acknowledgment of Paternity Affidavits are legal documents. Adhere to all instructions provided. Carefully read and initial the Alternatives, Rights and Responsibilities page.
This Acknowledgment of Paternity Affidavit is used to add the biological father to a child's birth certificate if the mother was not married at the time of birth or within 300 days of the birth.
If an Acknowledgment of Paternity Affidavit was completed for this child in the past and there is already a father listed on the child's birth certificate, DO NOT COMPLETE THIS FORM.
If the mother was married to someone other than the biological father when she became pregnant or anytime during the pregnancy, DO NOT COMPLETE THIS FORM (See Acknowledgment of Paternity: Child Born of Marriage).
Read the following instructions carefully before completing the form:
- The Acknowledgment of Paternity Affidavit may not be signed before your child is born.
- This is a legal document. Type or complete the form in black ink. Do not alter the form, use liquid paper, or make any scratch outs. Forms that have been altered will be rejected.
- Complete each item on the form. List your current insurance coverage even if it did not cover the hospital bill for your child's birth. If you do not have insurance, write "None".
- You must list your Social Security Number on the form. If you do not have a Social Security Number, write "None".
- Both parents must sign this form with two witnesses in the presence of a licensed notary. DO NOT SIGN THIS FORM BEFORE YOU HAVE IT NOTARIZED. Show the notary your picture identification. The notary must write or stamp their State Notary ID Number under their signature.
- If you would like to change your child's last name, you must list the name as you want it to appear on the birth certificate in the Child's Information Section of the form. You will not be able to change your child's last name on the birth certificate without a Louisiana court order after we receive and process the form.
- This Acknowledgment of Paternity Affidavit may be signed for any child who was born in Louisiana. It can be mailed to a parent anywhere to be signed in the presence of a licensed notary.
For an Acknowledgment of Paternity: Child Born Outside of Marriage, click here.