Family Resource Hub
A Navigator to Services for Families of Children with Special Needs
The Louisiana Birth Defects Monitoring Network (LBDMN) was established in 2001 and was formed to track birth defects and related conditions in Louisiana children. The objectives of the program are:
- to identify birth defects in children under age 3
- to provide information to families of children with birth defects about available social, educational, and medical services
- to support birth defects education and prevention efforts.
Birth defects are more common than many people realize. In the US, about 1 in every 33 babies is born with a birth defect each year. Due to the complexity and chronic nature of their conditions, these children may have special health care needs beyond those of other children.
This Resource Guide has been developed to give families a source of information about programs and services for children with special health care needs. It contains basic descriptions of services provided, information on eligibility criteria, contact information, and web addresses. It is intended to serve as a starting place for research of both local and national resources that will empower families with tools necessary for daily life.
We reccomend that you start with these links for helpful tips and tools regarding you or your family member's care:
- Medicaid Waiver Services, offered to individuals with developmental disabilities
- What you Should Expect From Your Pediatrician, a guide for how to find the best fit for your child's primary care
- Children's Special Health Services (CSHS), our partner program ensuring all CYSHCN in Louisiana have access to care
- Early Steps and System Point of Entry (SPOE), offering services to families of infants and toddlers
- Hospitals Offering Pediatric Services, a list of inpatient facilities offering medical services for children
- Genetics Clinics, offered by our partner program, providing services to individuals and families who are at risk for or who have a genetic disorder
- Exceptional Lives Louisiana, an interactive, customizable guide to find supports and resources for those with developmental disabilities
We also reccomend the following pages if you are looking for family-driven support services, national and local organzations offering additional resources, or advocacy centers and groups: