The Onsite Wastewater Program
The Onsite Wastewater Program's mission is to prevent untreated or improperly treated sewage from being discharged into the environment and thus to protect the health of the citizens of Louisiana. The program licenses and regulates onsite wastewater treatment system installers, haulers, sub-manufacturers, and manufacturers of wastewater systems in this state. Sanitarians located in the health units of each parish serve to inform, advise, and operate a permitting system with regard to onsite sewage treatment. Select the Parish Health Units link from the left menu bar to search for contact information for the local health units.
Small Flows Clearinghouse - Funded by the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency, the NSFC helps America's small communities and homeowners solve their wastewater problems to protect public health and the environment.
Private Water Well Initiative Website - Request Private Water Well Samples and/or lending institution letters online.
- A total of 153,511 onsite wastewater treatment systems have been permitted since August of 2001.
- In 2011, 805 installer and maintenance licenses have been issued to qualified individuals.
- To date, 57 of the 64 parishes in Louisiana have enacted onsite sewage ordinances.
- Approximately 45,625,000,000 gallons of wastewater per year is treated by onsite wastewater treatment systems in the state of Louisiana.
All training is conducted through the University of Louisiana at Lafayette. Questions may be referred to the University of Louisiana at Lafayette, Continuing Education Department, at (337) 482-5712 or see the following website: UL Continuing Education.
- Onsite Wastewater Installer's Workshop
- Licensed Manufacturers of Individual Mechanical Treatment Plants
- Licensed Manufacturers of Limited Use Systems (LUS)
- Active Installers and Maintenance Providers
- Sewage Complaint Form
- Homeowner Information
- Homeowner Certification
- Permit Application Information
- Forms for Installers
- Installer License Application Packets
- Installation Information for Installers
- What to do after a flood?
- Louisiana Environmental Conference and Trade Fair Presented by LSWA and LDEQ
- Sewerage Treatment Plant Identification Tag Ordering Information