WIC Medical Providers
This web page is designed to provide information to local medical providers on the services and requirements concerning the Louisiana WIC Program.
The Louisiana WIC Nutrition Services Gateway
The Louisiana WIC program serves as an adjunct and gateway to the following coordinated health initiatives and services:
- Breastfeeding promotion and support
- Recommending early prenatal care
- Immunization assessment, provisions and referrals
- Nutritional and health screening
- High - risk nutrition assessment and counseling
- Prenatal weight gain education and monitoring
- Education to include eating more fruits and vegetable
- Reducing iron-deficiency anemia in young children
- Assessing and encouraging prenatal smoking cessation
Announcing the new WIC Physician Guide! Click here for your copy!
The Louisiana WIC Program provides specific types of supplemental food packages to eligible participants as mandated by USDA in the form of a food instrument or voucher.
Participants can transact the food instrument or redeem the voucher at over 700 WIC Approved Vendors across the State of Louisiana.
Based on USDA regulations, the WIC food packages include food items lower in fat, higher in fiber, more culturally appropriate, improved breastfeeding support and participant focused nutrition education. The goal is to help families meet the Dietary Guidelines for Americans , the Healthy People 2020 Objectives and follow the American Academy of Pediatrics (AAP) recommendations for infant nutrition.
Click here to learn more about the New Louisiana WIC Food Packages.
- Current WIC Approved Formulary
- Frequently Used ICD-9 Codes
- 2016 Qualifying Conditions For Special Formula Food Packages
- 2016 Medical Provider Guide
- WIC 48 Medical Documentation Fillable Form