LCD Home > COVID-19 Updates
The Louisiana Commission for the Deaf (LCD) understands the importance of clear communication when it comes to emergency preparedness and response. We have taken action throughout this pandemic to address concerns about the ability of the Deaf and DeafBlind communities to access the most up to date information about COVID-19. We will continue to update this page as more information becomes available.
An Update on Vaccinations
A message to the Deaf, DeafBlind and Hard of Hearing community about COVID-19 vaccinations (transcript available here)
The Louisiana Department of Health recently added 3 additional groups to the current vaccination priority list under Phase 1B, Tier 1. These additional groups include:
- Interpreters working with d/Dead, DeafBlind, and hard of hearing communities (outside of educational environments).
- Support Service Providers (SSPs) working with DeafBlind community.
- Individuals who are DeafBlind.
If you fall into one of these groups, you are currently eligible to receive a COVID-19 vaccine. To receive a vaccination, call and make an appointment at a vaccination location near you. You will need to bring documentation to your appointment as proof of your current eligibility. For interpreters, this includes your national certification card, ID badge, previous invoice statement, etc. SSPs and DeafBlind individuals can contact their local Regional Service Center and ask them to provide a letter of eligibility for you.
During the coronavirus (COVID-19) pandemic, it may not be safe to go to your doctor’s office. Your doctor may ask you to stay home and discuss your health through video conferencing, this is called “telehealth.” Even though your appointment is done virtually, your doctor must still provide you with an interpreter or captioning so you can understand your doctor during your appointment. For more information for both patients and providers, please visit nad.org.
- Louisiana Department of Health COVID-19: Go here for Louisiana specific information including daily updates on the number of cases across the state.
- Louisiana 211: Dial 211 or text LACOVID to 898211 to talk to someone or get information about COVID-19. Visit LA211Help.org for more information.
- Deaf Communication Card for COVID-19: This card to used to help people who are Deaf, hard of hearing, or DeafBlind communicate their symptoms and recent travel history if they think they were infected with COVID-19. Screenshot or print this out to help communicate with medical staff.
- Communication Services for the Deaf (CSD): CSD created this website to share resources and information about COVID-19 with the deaf community. Resources include a free hotline using ASL Now or video phone and videos with COVID risk and prevention information in ASL.
- Keep Calm Through COVID: If you are feeling overwhelmed with stress, fear, or anxiety about coronavirus, you can call this 24/7 confidential hotline to speak with a trained counselor. Call 1-866-310-7977.
Press Conference Videos and Transcriptions
In March 2020, LCD sent specific guidelines for including interpreters in the frame of all televised press conferences to new stations across the state. A stenographer was hired to provide transcriptions for each of the Governor’s press conferences from March 18, 2020 - July 11, 2020. Transcriptions and videos are linked below.
Saturday, July 11, 2020: Governor's Press Conference
Monday, June 8, 2020: Governor's Press Conference
Friday, June 5, 2020: Governor's Press Conference
Wednesday, June 3, 2020: Governor's Press Conference
Monday, June 1, 2020: Governor's Press Conference
Friday, May 29, 2020: Governor's Press Conference
Wednesday, May 27, 2020: Governor's Press Conference
Friday, May 22, 2020: Governor's Press Conference
Monday, May 18, 2020: Governor's Press Conference
email@example.com | 1-800-256-1523 | (VP) 225- 406- 7317 | PO Box 3214, Baton Rouge, LA, 70821