Information for Patients
If you test positive for COVID-19 and begin to experience mild to moderate symptoms - Monoclonal Antibody Treatment (mAb) could be the right treatment for you. Monoclonal antibody therapy is available at no cost to individuals suffering from COVID-19.
Monoclonal antibody therapy can prevent severe illness, hospitalization and death in high-risk patients who have contracted or been exposed to COVID-19. These treatments are widely available across Louisiana.
- Treatment is free and vaccination status does not matter. If you are 12 years and older and are at high risk for severe illness due to COVID-19, you are eligible for this treatment.
- Did You Know? In clinical trials, monoclonal antibody treatment showed a 70% reduction in hospitalization and death.
What are Monoclonal Antibodies and How Do They Work?
An antibody is a protein that the body’s immune system makes to fight off viruses and other foreign substances. MAbs are man-made antibodies produced in a laboratory that can mimic the human immune system response to infection. Each of the three drugs given an Emergency Use Authorization (EUA) are designed to block viral attachment and entry into human cells, thus neutralizing the virus that causes COVID-19.
Where can I go for treatment?
Facilities that offer mAb therapy, such as a hospital or an infusion center, are open across the state and are fully approved by the Louisiana Department of Health and staffed with professional medical personnel.
U.S. Department of Health and Human Services Telephone Hotline: A federal call center is available to answer questions and provide information related to monoclonal antibody therapeutic treatments at
Under the terms of the EUAs, mAbs may be used for the treatment of mild to moderate COVID-19 in adults and pediatric patients who meet all of the following:
- Have a positive test for SARS-CoV-2 (molecular/PCR or antigen);
- Are within 10 days of the start of their symptoms;
- Are at least 12 years of age or older and weigh at least 40 kilograms (88 pounds); and
- Are at a high risk for progressing to severe COVID-19 and/or hospitalization. Learn more about who is considered high risk.
How do I receive treatment?
MAb therapy is completely free and available upon proof of a positive COVID-19 test or a referral from a licensed healthcare provider.
Why is this treatment important?
It’s the best way to keep our local hospitals available for emergencies and to have the necessary capacity to treat people who need hospitalization. Governor Edwards, the Louisiana Department of Health and healthcare providers across the state have promoted monoclonal antibodies since November 2020.
- Link to FAQs
- Link to Fact sheet
- CDC: Monoclonal Antibodies: Treatments Your Healthcare Provider Might Recommend if You Are Sick
- FDA Authorizes Monoclonal Antibody for Treatment of COVID-19
|Provider Information||MAB TREATMENT LOCATIONS|