Promoting Interoperability and Public Health Reporting in Louisiana
About Promoting Interoperability
The Medicare and Medicaid Electronic Health Records (EHR) Incentive Programs provide financial incentives for the Promoting Interoperability Program (formerly known as Meaningful Use) of certified EHR technology to improve patient care. Providers are incentivized to show that they are meaningfully using their EHRs by meeting a number of objectives. For a detailed explanation of promoting interoperability measures and requirements, click here.
Public Health has a number of ties to promoting interoperability. There are 5 public health reporting measures that OPH or its partners are able to accommodate;
- Electronic Laboratory Reporting (ELR),
- Syndromic surveillance,
- electronic Case Reporting (eCR), and
- Cancer reporting (hosted by the Louisiana Tumor Registry at LSU).
In addition, providers in the OPH parish health units are eligible to claim MU incentives.
The OPH Bureau of Health Informatics (BHI) coordinates and oversees the reporting for ELR, syndromic surveillance, eCR and immunizations by managing the onboarding, validation and testing of the incoming transactions.
You can also find Medicaid-specific information on the Medicaid site.
The five Public Health objectives include four core measures and several optional measures.
CORE MEASURES (click item for more information)
- Immunization registry updates (core measure for both EHs and EPs)
- Electronic laboratory reports (ELR) (core measure for EHs only)
- Syndromic surveillance information (core measure for both EHs and EPs)
- Electronic Case Reporting (core measure for both EHs and Eps)
MENU MEASURES (click item for more information)
- Sending cancer case reports to the cancer registry (menu option for EPs only)
- Sending case reports to a specialized registry (menu option for EPs only)
For more information
For questions about the Promoting Interoperability Program (formerly known as Meaningful Use) and Public Health in Louisiana, send an email to email@example.com .