Medicaid provides medical benefits to low-income individuals and families. Although the federal government establishes the general rules for Medicaid, specific requirements are established by each state. In Louisiana, over a million residents receive health care coverage through Medicaid, most of whom are children under 19. The Louisiana Medicaid Program operates within the Louisiana Department of Health.
Do I qualify for Medicaid?
In Louisiana, you qualify to receive Medicaid if you:
- Receive Supplemental Security Income (SSI) from the Social Security Administration (SSA)
- Get financial help from the Office of Family Support (OFS) through the Family Independence Temporary Assistance Program (FITAP)
You may also qualify for Medicaid coverage if you:
- Are disabled according to the Social Security Administration’s definition
- Have corrected vision no better than 20/200
- Are a low-income parent of children under age 19
- Are a child under age 19
- Are pregnant
- Have no insurance and need treatment for breast and/or cervical cancer
- Receive Medicare coverage and are low-income, or
- Are aged 19 to 64 years old, have a household income less than 138% of the federal poverty level, doesn't already qualify for Medicaid or Medicare, and meet citizenship requirement
- Adult Group
- Long Term Care
- Medicaid Pharmacy Benefits Management (PBM)
- Medicaid Purchase Plan
- Medicare Savings Program
How Do I Apply?
There are several ways you can apply for Medicaid or get more information:
1. Apply now or renew coverage for any Medicaid program by visiting the Louisiana Medicaid Online Application (OLA). Once you submit the online application, it is sent immediately to the Medicaid office for processing, and there is no delay for mailing or faxing a paper form.
2. Call the Medicaid hotline toll free at 1.888.342.6207 for help applying. Agents are accepting calls Monday through Friday from 8 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.
3. Contact any Medicaid Application Center statewide.
4. Download and print a Medicaid application and then mail or fax it to Medicaid as directed on the form.
5. Contact your local Medicaid office for help applying.
Please click here to ask a question about any of the Medicaid programs.
What You Need to do if You Have Health Insurance Through the Marketplace and Get Help Paying Your Insurance Premiums:
- When you get Medicaid you MUST stop your Marketplace plan.
- If you do not stop your Marketplace plan you may have to pay a penalty when you file your tax return next year.
- Call 1-800 318-2596 (TTY: 1-855-889-4325) right away. Tell them you have Medicaid and you want to stop your Marketplace health insurance.
- Patient Access: Managing your digital medical information
- MMIS (Medicaid Management Information Systems)
- Pharmaceutical and Therapeutics Committee
- Rate Setting and Audit Section
- Medicaid Forms Library
- Medicaid Reports and Publications
- Louisiana Health Finder
- Medicaid Services
Click here to see a directory listing of Medicaid leadership.
Click here to Medicaid Organizational Chart