Lead Abatement Services
The Housing and Urban Development (HUD) uses their Lead-Based Paint Hazard Control Grant to partner with local organizations to identify and control lead-based paint hazards in eligible privately-owned housing. Through this program, lead abatement services are offered as no cost to a limited number of qualifying homeowners, landlords, and tenants.
For more information about this lead abatement program including eligibility requirements and applications, please visit:
- Louisiana Housing Corporation: Serving Avoyelles, Caddo, Calcasieu, Catahoula, Claiborne, East Baton Rouge, East Carroll, Iberia, Jefferson Davis, Madison, Morehouse, Natchitoches, Orleans, Ouachita, Rapides, Red River, Sabine, St. Landry, St. Mary, and Webster parishes.
- Jefferson Parish Department of Community Development: For more information about this program you can call (504) 736-6262 or email JPCommunityDevelopment@jeffparish.net
Resources for Homeowners
- Locate an Approved Lead Abatement Contractor: Use the Louisiana-Certified Contractor Regional List to locate approved contractors for lead abatement.
- How to Safely Do It Yourself: Homeowners renovating, repairing, or painting their homes may come in contact with lead-based paint. Use this information from the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) to learn how to prevent lead dust from spreading through your home.
Information For Lead Abatement Contractors
- Louisiana State Licensing Board for Contractors (LSLBC): According to Louisiana Department of Environmental Quality regulations, lead-based paint abatement contractors must be licensed by the LSLBC. Visit their website or call (225) 765-2301 for information on getting a license to abate lead-based paint.
- EPA's Renovation, Repair and Painting Program: The Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) requires that firms performing renovation, repair and painting projects that disturb lead-based paint in homes, childcare facilities, and pre-schools built before 1978 to follow certain requirements.
- Important Information for Contractors About Lead: this document explains the EPA rules and regulations surrounding abatement services.