LCD Home > Hearing Aid Program
Hearing Aid Program
Many people who are hard of hearing could benefit from hearing aids. The Louisiana Commission for the Deaf (LCD) Hearing Aid Program provides hearing aids to some people at no cost.
Digital hearing aids come in a variety of styles, but they all share 4 basic components:
- Microphone: picks up sound
- Computer chip: processes the sound and raises the volume
- Speaker: send the sound back out to the ear
- Battery: powers the hearing aid
To receive hearing aids from this program, you must meet the following criteria:
- Be 50 years of age or older.
- Have proof of Louisiana residency.
- Have hearing loss with pure tone average of 40dB or worse in the better ear (1,000, 2,000, 3,000 & 4,000 hertz) documented by an audiologist or instrument specialist.
- Meet the income requirements listed below, which are based on the federal poverty level:
People in Household
Maximum Annual Household Income
Add $4,180.00 per year for each additional person residing in household.
- The first step is to get on the referral list. Use this online application to be placed on the list. If you need assistance, call your local Regional Service Center (RSC).
- Your local RSC will contact you to make an appointment at their location to verify your eligibility. Appointment availability varies based on need in each region of the state.
- At the appointment with your local RSC, you will need to bring documentation showing proof of the eligibility criteria listed above. Once verification of eligibility has been determined, the RSC will assist you in scheduling an appointment with a vendor in your area. They will coordinate any services (such as interpreting) that may be needed for the appointment(s).
- At the appointment with the vendor, a hearing specialist will test your hearing and let you know if you need hearing aids or not. If you do, they will properly fit the aids and tell you how to care for and maintain the equipment.
- Once services are completed, please let us know about your experience by filling out this Consumer Satisfaction Survey.
Please contact LCD at 1-800-256-1523, VP: (225) 228-1203, or firstname.lastname@example.org if any of your personal information changes after submitting the application. If you do not let us know your information has changed, your services may be delayed.
Regional Service Center & Vendor Responsibilities
View the Service Provision Manual for the current requirements.
email@example.com | 1-800-256-1523 | (VP): (225) 228-1203 | PO Box 3214, Baton Rouge, LA, 70821