K-12 Guidance & Resources
This guidance is for K-12 parents, guardians and caregivers, and teachers and staff who are returning to school in fall 2021. For the health and safety of all, make sure students are aware of how to practice daily preventive measures.
- Hand washing: Wash hands often, especially before eating, after using the restroom or after sneezing, coughing or blowing your nose. Practice proper hand washing:
- Wet the hands.
- Lather hands with soap on both sides, including the fingers and nails.
- Scrub for 20 seconds. Sing the happy birthday song twice to make sure you’ve scrubbed long enough.
- Rinse with water.
- Dry hands using a clean towel or air dry.
- Hand sanitizing: Apply gel to the palm of one hand. Rub hands together, then over all surfaces of hands and fingers until dry (about 20 seconds).
- Wearing masks: Talk to your children about the importance of wearing masks. Practice putting on a taking off a mask without touching the front of the mask. Masks should be worn on the way to and from school when riding the bus, car pooling with people outside of your household, or walking in groups in which physical distancing is not possible. Label masks with your child’s name.
- Physical distancing: Try to keep at least 6 feet of distance between yourself and other people.
- Stay home if you are sick.
Decision making and planning
- K-12 and ECE COVID-19 Operational Guidance
- K-12 and ECE Outbreak Definition and Reporting
- COVID-19 School Reporting Guide
- COVID-19 Vaccines and Kids
Emotional well-being and coping with stress
Office of Behavioral Health Guidance & Resources for Parents & Children Returning to School -The Office of Behavioral Health (OBH) is committed to the advancement and promotion of positive health and, specifically, positive behavioral health practices. These resources are updated regularly, and OBH is open to feedback and other information that will assist the citizens of Louisiana as we navigate this unprecedented health event.
- Guide to Supporting the Well-Being of Students and Staff
- OBH Guidance & Resources for Stress/Coping During COVID-19
- Parenting in a Pandemic: Tips to Keep the Calm at Home
- Helping Children Cope With Stress
- Resources for Supporting Children's Emotional Well-being during the COVID-19 Pandemic