Transition from Temporary Nurse Aide (TNA) to Certified Nurse Aide (CNA)
This process is intended to expedite the transition of individuals who have served as Temporary Nurse Aides (TNAs) at long term care facilities (nursing homes) to Certified Nurse Aides (CNAs). This expedited process will allow a TNA to become certified (CNA) without having to complete an approved Nurse Aide Training Program. To maintain the current standards of public safety, the TNA is required to successfully complete the Nurse Aide Competency Evaluation administered by Prometric to be certified to the LA Nurse Aide Registry.
- The use of TNA's was granted by CMS, per the CMS Waiver. Refer to the CMS Waiver for updates, including an expiration date for the use of TNA's. THE ABILITY TO USE TNA'S IS NOT DETERMINED OR MANDATED BY LDH.
- The TNA to CNA Transition Process was implemented by LDH. THE PROCESS FOR TNA'S TO BECOME CERTIFIED WAS IMPLEMENTED BY LDH. Based upon CMS guidance, facilities will have 4 months from the date of the CMS Waiver expiration to ensure TNA's are certified.
- Therefore, the LDH will continue TNA to CNA Transition testing for 4 months after the CMS Waiver expiration.
Eligibility for TNA to CNA Transition Process Requirements:
- (Minimum) 8 hours of temporary nurse aide training course or equivalent
- (Minimum) 16 hours skills competency verification PRIOR TO DIRECT RESIDENT CONTACT
- (Minimum) 60 hours of on the job training/work as a TNA in a NH/SNF.
Once the TNA has met requirements, the TNA is eligible to test for certification to the LA Nurse Aide Registry.
- The facility (nursing home) must submit the TNA to CNA Verification Form with names of TNA’s eligible for the TNA to CNA Transition Process to the LA Nurse Aide Registry (LA-NAR) at HSS-CNA-DSW-Request@la.gov. DO NOT include TNA's that have already been approved (i.e. for retesting); DO NOT scan the form--submit electronically.
- The LA-NAR will send a verification email to the facility which will include information required on the Prometric application.
- The facility must submit the application and test fees to Prometric in order to schedule test for the TNA candidates.
- Prometric cannot schedule if the application is incomplete. Incomplete status examples include missing fee, incomplete demographics, missing email address, no test site, any illegible information, etc.
- Once application is processed, Prometric will send notification to the email address provided of status (either complete or incomplete). Therefore, ensure the email address is correct, legible, and notify owner of the email address to expect it.
- If your facility is approved as an IFT, submit IFT request to Prometric using normal procedure.
Prometric-preparation for testing:
- For NH’s that are not familiar with Prometric, the TNA to CNA Competency Test Preparation Guide provides an overview of the Prometric competency evaluation process.
- The NH should ensure the TNA is adequately prepared for the competency evaluation. Resources include the TNA to CNA Competency Test Preparation Guide as well as information on the Prometric website.
- If TNA must re-test, they do NOT need to be submitted and approved by the Registry.
- The TNA has three (3) opportunities to pass the competency test. If unsuccessful after 3 attempts, the TNA must attend an approved Nurse Aide Training Program to be eligible to test again.
Test site info
- In-facility test site (for approved NATP's or sister facility of an NATP)
- Nurse Aide Evaluator (NAE/tester) comes to your facility to administer the competency test to TNAs
- Minimum of 4 TNA candidates required for a test event
- Facility is able to request date of the test event
- Test administered in familiar setting, which leads to decreased anxiety and better test results for candidates
- Regional test site
- Candidate (i.e., TNA) is scheduled “first come, first serve” into the next available test event at the regional test site chosen on the application
- Cannot choose test date
TNA to CNA Verification Form
Submission of the TNA to CNA Verification Form serves as attestation that the individuals have met the requirements of the TNA to CNA Transition process and are eligible to take the Nurse Aide Competency Evaluation administered by Prometric.
Any candidate tested using the TNA school code that is not reported to the LA-NAR will NOT be certified to the LA Nurse Aide Registry, regardless of the results of the competency evaluation.
If facility identifies additional TNA's that meet the TNA to CNA Transition requirements, they must be submitted to Registry for approval. Do not submit those already approved.
Please direct any questions or concerns to Ash-Leigh Garcia, RN, Program Manager: firstname.lastname@example.org.
NATP and Registry Quick Links
Prometric website for LA
New Nurse Aide Training Program approval information
NATP Change Information for currently approved programs (instructions for reporting program changes)
COVID19/Nurse Aide Training/TNA Waiver information
Train the Trainer contacts
LDH NATP/CNA FAQ page
LA Nurse Aide Registry online CNA verification
LA Adverse Actions website (DSW findings)
LA Nurse Aide Registry website (information for CNA's)
CNA recertification testing information
Federal regulations for Nurse Aide Training and Competency Evaluation Programs CFR, Chapter IV, Subchapter G, Part 483, Subpart D