LEERS Death Module
What is EDR?
The primary purpose of an EDR system is to enable the participants of death registration to file death records with local and state registrars electronically. An EDR system provides for on-line access so that decedent fact-of-death and cause-of-death information can be registered electronically by multiple death registration participants working on the same case. With an EDR system, funeral directors will be better able to serve families by obtaining copies of death certificates with fewer errors, faster and more efficiently.
- User-friendly death record data entry screens
- Highly secure and Internet-accessible
- Available 24 hours/day, 7 days/week
- Accommodates large funeral home firms and small funeral homes
- On-line help and instructions built into the system
- Help desk support
- Provides for paperless filing of a death record
- Provides the capability to electronically order certified copies for the family
- Eliminates the need to physically track down physicians to obtain signatures
- Facilitates on-line collaboration among multiple death registration system users, including funeral homes, physicians, coroners, and local and state registrars
- Supports the completion and filing of a death record that is partially an electronic record and partially a paper certificate if all participants are not on-line
- Improves the timeliness and quality of death data
- Reduces errors by verifying the decedent's SSN by automatically matching with SSA files
- Enables faster death registration at the Vital Records Office, which will speed turnaround time for obtaining certified copies for families
- Improves fraud prevention by using electronic authentication
- Allows for the printing of the Burial Transit Permit (BTP) at the local funeral home
LEERS Death Module Information
Below you will find LEERS Death Module Forms, Guides and General Information. We will routinely be adding and updating information on this page for our user community.
LEERS Death Module User ID Agreements
SSA Louisiana Funeral Director Policy for Report of Death (SSA-721)
SSA Louisiana Report of Death Policy (Issued July 9, 2012)
EDR Promotional Materials
- Information from Louisiana State Board of Medical Examiners regarding the importance of signing vital event documents.
- The Centers for Disease Control/National Center for Health Statistics (CDC/NCHS) has developed an informational packet regarding the completion of cause-of-death entitled Instructions for Completing the Cause-of-Death Section of the Death Certificate.
- The Centers for Disease Control/National Center for Health Statistics (CDC/NCHS) has developed an informational packet regarding the completion of cause-of-death for injury and poisoning entitled Instructions for Completing the Cause-of-Death Section of the Death Certificate for Injury and Poisoning.
- The Centers for Disease Control/National Center for Health Statistics (CDC/NCHS) has a webpage for handling situations where cause-of-death is difficult to certify entitled Possible Solutions to Common Problems in Death Certification.
- The Centers for Disease Control/National Center for Health Statistics (CDC/NCHS) has developed an informational packet entitled Completion of Death Certificates in the Aftermath of a Hurricane.
- The National Association of Medical Examiners has developed five tutorials regarding cause of death reporting that can be found at this link.