RHP Home > About the Reproductive Health Program
About the Reproductive Health Program
In September 1974, Louisiana's Department of Health and Human Resources (DHHR, now the Department of Health), Office of Management and Finance assumed the responsibility for managing and operating the state's Family Planning Program. In 1976, the program was transferred to the Office of Preventive and Public Health services (now the Office of Public Health). The program, once operated by the Family Health Foundation from 1965 to 1974, provides family planning services statewide to families with lower incomes who desire to space their children and/or limit their family sizes. The program has operated as part of the National Title X Family Planning Program for more than 40 years.
To reduce maternal and infant mortality, morbidity, and teen pregnancy, and to provide individuals and families the information and means to exercise personal choice in determining the number and spacing of their children.
The purpose of the Louisiana Office of Public Health Reproductive Health Program is to help clients:
- Delay pregnancy beyond the teen years to improve the socioeconomic status and health of both mothers and infants;
- Reduce the negative impact of unintended pregnancies on individuals, families and the community;
- Plan pregnancies so that all children are planned, wanted and born healthy and
- Access reproductive health services such as Pap Smears, Sexually Transmitted Infections (STIs) screenings and physical exams.
The Louisiana Office of Public Health Reproductive Health Program uses the following intervention strategies:
- Provide individuals with the information and means to determine the number and spacing of their children;
- Provide community education about issues related to family planning and sexuality, especially to parents and youth serving agencies; and
- Increase opportunities for health assessment and intervention in areas such as STIs, nutrition, social services, chronic diseases, and immunizations.
For More Information Contact Us.