Special Formula Additional Information
- Telephone or verbal orders are unacceptable.
- Original signature required. Stamped signature not accepted.
- Louisiana WIC routinely provides 2% milk to children greater than 2 years of age
- According to USDA regulations, the Louisiana WIC Program does not provide Low-iron formula under any circumstances.
- Medical documentation/prescriptions are not required for the current contract standard formulas.
Ready to Feed Formulas
The use of ready- to- feed formula can be approved only when one of the following circumstances is documented:
Standard Formula ONLY (Non-Exempt)
- Unsanitary/restricted water supply
- Poor refrigeration
- The participant's caregiver is cognitively/physically unable to correctly dilute concentrated liquid or powered formula
Special Formula ONLY (Exempt Formula, Medical Food)
If a ready-to-feed formula better accommodates the participant's condition
If the ready-to-feed formula improves the participant's compliance in consuming the prescribed formula
Unsanitary/restricted water supply
The participant's caregiver is cognitively/physically unable to correctly dilute concentrated liquid or powered formula
The requirements for ready-to-feed formula are federally mandated. There are no exceptions or waivers for the ready-to-feed policy at the State Agency level.