Louisiana’s Occupational Heat-Related Illness and Injury Program
Aiming to protect Louisiana workers and communities from the dangers of heat through data, research, collaboration, and education.
View our heat-related illness emergency department visits and deaths dashboards.Explore Data
Improve heat-related illness prevention and adaptation practices for workers and employers
Improve individual and community-level resilience to extreme heat
Why is this program important?
The frequency, severity, and duration of extreme heat events are increasing due to climate change. Warmer temperatures are of concern in Louisiana because we already have some of the highest temperatures in the nation. The effects of heat are compounded by high humidity. Sweat evaporates more slowly on humid days, reducing the body’s ability to cool.
Workers in physically demanding occupations are at risk for heat-related illness, injury, or fatality. Exposure to extreme heat also decreases workers' productivity and ability to work. These health and economic impacts have an enormous toll on workers, their families, and communities.
We are developing a surveillance system that tracks heat-related illnesses, injuries, and fatalities in Louisiana workers and residents.
We are conducting and supporting research projects to analyze the impact of heat on Louisiana workers and communities.
We are working with local, state, and national partners to study heat-related health impacts in Louisiana.
- Our team is training Louisiana workers, employers, and community members how to prevent heat-related illness.
- We are also providing specialized training to Louisiana health care workers on the identification, treatment, and prevention of heat-related health conditions.
Publications & Reports
- Heat-Related Illness in New Orleans: Review of Emergency Department Data from 2010-2020. LDH OPH Occupational Heat-Related Illness Prevention Program, 2023
- Heat-Related Illness in Louisiana: Review of Emergency Department and Hospitalization Data from 2010-2020. LDH OPH Occupational Heat-Related Illness Prevention Program, 2023
- Louisiana Health Alert Message: Extreme Heat Poses Serious Risk of Heat Exhaustion and Heat Stroke, August 2023
- In Harm’s Way: Hurricane Ida’s Impact on Socially Vulnerable Communities. NOAA National Centers for Environmental Information, 2022
- Distribution of Extreme Heat Days across Louisiana. Louisiana Morbidity Report, Environmental and Occupational Edition, 2019
- Occupational Heat-Stress Illness Emergency Department Visits and Hospitalizations in Louisiana and its Climate Divisions, 2010-2016. Louisiana Morbidity Report, Environmental and Occupational Edition, 2019
- Heat-Stress Illness and Mortality in Louisiana. Louisiana Morbidity Report, Environmental and Occupational Edition, 2019
- Teaming Up with Local and State Agencies to Protect Louisiana’s Residents and Visitors from Extreme Heat. Louisiana Morbidity Report, Environmental and Occupational Edition, 2019
- Occupational Heat-Related Illness Emergency Department Visits and Hospitalizations in the Southeast Region, 2007-2011. American Journal of Industrial Medicine, 2015
- Working In Extreme Heat: What Employers and Workers Need To Know
- Heat And Health: What You Need To Know
- Generator Safety Tips
- Heat-Related Illness Syndromic Surveillance: Case Definition & Limitations
- Heat-Related Illness ICD Diagnostic Codes
- External Cause of Morbidity Work-Related ICD Codes