Disease Vector Program
- Regulates certain aspects of mosquito control, rodent control and the control of domestic flies and other arthropods of Public Health Importance.
- Chairs the Louisiana Arboviral Committee that coordinates all entities within the State working with arboviruses, such as West Nile Virus, ZIKA, Eastern Equine Encephalitis, St. Louis Encephalitis, et cetera
- Co-Chairs Louisiana Arboviral Sampling Committee that sets Statewide Arboviral Sampling Standards.
- Acts as the State’s primary mosquito abatement expert.
- Coordinates emergency disaster relief mosquito abatement activities with the Centers for Disease Control, Department of Defense, and State and Federal emergency response agencies.
- Oversees FEMA/CDC Grant Programs for the local Mosquito Abatement Districts (MADs) and parish governments to establishment of new MADs and for disease vector control, including equipment, chemical and personnel trainings.
- Reviews and approves any community abatement plans.
- Works with other state agencies, universities, Louisiana Mosquito Control Association LMCA) and MADs and other local public mosquito abatement program personnel to promote arboviral and vector control education.
West Nile Virus and Related Arbovirus Information
Click here for information on West Nile Virus (WNV) surveillance and reporting in Louisiana.