Adult Protective Services

Who’s responsible for making reports of abuse?

The Adult Protective Services Reporting Law, Louisiana R.S. 14:403.2, requires all Louisianans to report abuse, neglect, exploitation, and extortion of adults with disabilities. The law grants immunity to any citizen who reports in good faith and who cooperates in an investigation by the protective service agency. The law also provides for criminal penalties for persons who know of incidents and fail to report or who knowingly make false reports.

Do I have to give my name when reporting?

No.  You do not have to give your name in order to make a report. However, providing your name and contact information to APS helps our investigation, if addition information or details are needed at a later date. The reporter’s identity is always protected and kept confidential, except when information is shared with law enforcement.   

What information do I need to make a report?

When making a report to APS, please provide the following information:

  • Name of the alleged victim,
  • Location of the alleged victim, and  
  • Details regarding the alleged abuse.


Although it's helpful to report as much information as possible, don’t let unknown information prevent you from making a report.

What happens after reports are made?

First, a report is screened to ensure it is appropriate for services rendered by the agency.  Reports that meet the agency’s criteria, are assigned to an APS Specialist who conducts an investigation and arranges protective services to victims of abuse.


Investigations are initiated within 24 hours or before ten (10) business days, depending on the adult’s risk of harm. APS works to complete investigation within 30 days.


If APS determines that mistreatment has occurred or the adult is at continued risk of harm, it works to protect the adult using social service or civil legal remedies. Interventions to protect the adults or reduce their risk of harm are implemented within 90-120 days. 


Competent adults have the legal right to refuse intervention by Adult Protective Services.


APS is not a law enforcement agency and does not conduct criminal investigations.  However, APS may refer information to law enforcement or the District Attorney’s Office when it believes a crime has occurred.

How do I find out the outcome of an investigation that I reported?

APS investigations are confidential.  Therefore, the outcome of an investigation may not be shared or released.  However, certain information may be shared with the alleged victim and/or his/her legal representative and with law enforcement, medical, or social service agencies, as needed, to coordinate services to the adult. 

How can I get a copy of an APS case record?

APS investigations are confidential.  Only the APS client or his/her legal representative may request a copy of the APS case record.   APS may request addition information from the requester or the APS client to verify the validity of the request before releasing information.  APS reserves the right to deny the release of certain information collected during an investigation, if believed its release could cause harm to others involved in the investigation.  The reporter’s identity is considered protected information, therefore, I will not be released with the record.  


Requests for APS records may be mailed or delivered to:

Mailing Address:

Director of Adult Protective Services

The Louisiana Department of Health

P.O. Box 2031, Bin 14,

Baton Rouge LA 70821


Physical Address for Delivery:

The Louisiana Department of Health

Office of Aging and Adult Services-Adult Protective Services Division

Bienville Building

628 N 4th St.

Baton Rouge, Louisiana 70802