The Louisiana Department of Health (DHH) and the Louisiana High School Athletic Association (LHSAA) are teaming up to help reduce the spread of H1N1, also known as the swine flu. Beginning this month public service announcements regarding H1N1 vaccination and hygiene will be announced over the public address systems at high school football games and other sporting events throughout the state.
LDH Secretary Alan Levine said the department wants the message to reach as many people as possible. "The U.S. Centers for Disease Control strongly advises every American take appropriate steps to protect themselves and their families. These PSAs will be heard by students, one of the high-risk groups identified by the CDC. We hope these announcements will encourage students and their families to fight the flu by getting immunized and by using good hygiene habits."
The announcements will promote the CDC’s hygiene recommendations:
- Cover your nose and mouth with a tissue when you cough or sneeze. Throw the tissue in the trash after you use it.
- Wash your hands often with soap and water, especially after you cough or sneeze. Alcohol-based hand cleaners are also effective.
- Avoid close contact with sick people.
- If you get sick stay home, and limit contact with others to keep from infecting them.
- Avoid touching your eyes, nose or mouth. Germs spread this way.
- By getting both your seasonal flu shot and the H1N1 vaccine when it becomes available, you can stop yourself from getting sick and spreading the disease to others.
LHSAA will also link from their website to DHH’s flu website, www.FightTheFluLA.com, where people can get up-to-date information regarding H1N1 and seasonal flu.
The Louisiana High School Athletic Association serves to promote, regulate, and direct the interscholastic athletic activities of Louisiana member high schools as well as to promote the spirit of sportsmanship and fair play in all athletic contests. Learn more at www.lhsaa.org.
The Louisiana Department of Health strives to protect and promote health statewide and to ensure access to medical, preventive and rehabilitative services for all state citizens. To learn more about LDH, visit www.dhh.louisiana.gov.