Food & Drug

I want to start a food-manufacturing business. Is there a set of rules regarding equipment and facilities?

Yes and no. The rules are the statutes found in LSA R.S. 40: 4 and 601 et seq., as well as the regulations established in Parts VI and X of Title 51 of the Louisiana Administrative Code. If your products are part of interstate commerce and not agricultural products, you will also be regulated by Title 21 of the Code of Federal Regulations.

While all of these documents (links to which may be found on our Food Manufacturing page) provide broad requirements and certain specific prohibitions, they do not state (except in rare instances) what equipment may be used, what your floors should be made of, et cetera. This is why it is necessary for you to draw up plans for your facility, including plumbing, electrical, mechanical, and HVAC drawings, as well as equipment and floor, wall, and ceiling material finish schedules. A sanitarian with the department will be able to evaluate this information and determine whether your plans are compliant with state and federal requirements.

Where do I lodge a complaint about a manufactured food or drug product?

If you have a complaint regarding a manufactured product, please contact your district Food and Drug Unit sanitarian. See our Locations page for contact information for your area.

If you have a complaint regarding a restaurant meal or item prepared and served in a retail food establishment like a grocery or deli, please contact your local parish health unit sanitarian. A list of contact information for parish health units may be found here.