Psychiatric Residential Treatment Facilities
Psychiatric Residential Treatment Facilities (PRTF) are licensed by the Louisiana Department of Health- Health Standards Section.
A Psychiatric Residential Treatment Facility or “PRTF” is defined as a facility other than a hospital, that provides inpatient psychiatric services, as described in 42 CFR Part 441 Subpart D, to individuals under age 21, in a residential setting. All behavioral health services must be medically necessary. The medical necessity for services shall be determined by a licensed mental health practitioner (LMHP) or physician who is acting within the scope of his/her professional license and applicable state law. All services shall be prior authorized. Services which exceed the initial authorization must be approved for reauthorization prior to service delivery. Services provided to children and youth must include communication and coordination with the family and/or legal guardian and custodial agency for children in state custody. Coordination with other child-serving systems should occur as needed to achieve the treatment goals.
Certification: In order to be a PRTF and be eligible for Federal funding, the facility must address the Condition of Participation on the use of Restraint or Seclusion via a yearly Attestation Form. The facility must attest that they agree to comply and are in compliance with 483.350-483.376 of the CFR.
A PRTF may request deemed status from the Louisiana Department of Health. The Louisiana Department of Health may accept accreditation in lieu of a routine on-site licensing survey provided that:
- the accreditation is obtained through an organization approved by the Department; The Joint Commission, Council on Accreditation, Council on Accreditation of Rehabilitation Facilities
- all services provided under the PRTF license must be accredited; and
- the provider forwards the accrediting body's findings to Health Standards Section within 30 days of its accreditation.
- Fees: Payment Procedure
- Louisiana Register Vol. 44, No. 12 December 20, 2018- Chapter 41 Expedited Licensing Process for Healthcare Facilities and Providers Licensed by the Department of Health
- Initial Licensure
- Email your licensing packet to: HSS-PRTF-TGH-Licensing@la.gov
- Criminal Background Check Statute Notice
- Criminal Background Check Information
- License Renewal
- CHOW - Change of Ownership
- Change of Address, Key Personnel or Name
- DSW Registry and Adverse Action Memo (new- effective 10/01/2018)
Office of State Fire Marshal- Click here for OSFM portal
Program Manager Contact InformationJamie Dyer