How To Obtain An Orleans Parish Marriage License
REQUIREMENTS FOR OBTAINING A MARRIAGE LICENSE
ORLEANS PARISH, NEW ORLEANS, LOUISIANA
The Orleans Parish Marriage License Office is located at Benson Tower, 1450 Poydras Street, Suite 407, in downtown New Orleans. Licenses are issued between 8:15 a.m. and 3:15 p.m., Monday through Friday (excluding state holidays). The licenses are valid in any parish in the State of Louisiana.
In order to apply for a marriage license, both parties must be present and present all required documents. If a party is absent, the application will only be accepted if their signature on the application has been separately notarized. If the absent party is a member of the US armed forces, a copy of a military ID can be accepted in lieu of a signature, but at least one party’s in-person signature is required to submit an application.
Applicants must present the following:
- A current driver's license, current state ID or passport.
- A certified birth certificate or a certified birth card for both parties (no photocopies accepted). A certified translation must be attached, if the birth certificate is not in English. If not born in the US or a US territory, the applicant(s) must also present a valid, unexpired passport or a valid, unexpired visa with attached I-94 form.
- If a certified birth certificate cannot be produced, a waiver must be presented in accordance with LA R.S. 9:228.
- Both applicants must provide their Social Security numbers if born in the United States. If not born in the US or a US territory, the applicant(s) must present a valid passport from their country of birth or a visa with attached I-94 form.
- If either party has been divorced, the individual must provide a certified copy of the final divorce decree. A widow or widower must provide a certified copy the death certificate of the former spouse when they apply for a license to marry.
- Fees of $27.50 payable by cash (must contain EXACT AMOUNT), check, or money order only (non-refundable), plus $5 for each certified copy of the marriage certificate desired by the customer.
An Application to Obtain an Orleans Parish Marriage License is available and may be completed by the parties prior to applying in person.
24-Hour Waiting Period
A 24-hour waiting period is required by law between the time of issuance of the license and the ceremony.
Judges of the First or Second City Courts are authorized by law to waive the waiting period for Louisiana residents and they can do this during their Monday-Friday hours of operation ONLY.
If both parties reside outside of Louisiana and the services will occur in Orleans parish AND be performed by a registered Orleans officiant, that officiant can waive this waiting period.
The waiver must be attached to the completed marriage certificate when it is returned to Vital Records.
Marriages Under The Age of 18
Per Louisiana law effective August 1, 2019, anyone under the age of sixteen (16) cannot be married in Louisiana.
Applicants aged sixteen (16) or seventeen (17) cannot marry someone three (3) years or more older than themselves.
Those 16-and 17-year- olds who wish to marry must present the following:
1) Each applicant must have: the written consent of both parents, OR the written consent of the parent who has legal custody, OR the written consent of their legal guardian.
2) An order from a Judge of Juvenile Court.
Expiration of Marriage License
A marriage license expires and becomes invalid at midnight thirty (30) days after the date of issuance. If the service is postponed beyond the expiration date, you must return the expired license and purchase a new one.
Certified Copies of the Marriage Certificate
You are encouraged to purchase one or more certified copies of your Marriage Certificate when you apply for your license. Certified copies of a Marriage Certificate cost $5.00 + a $.50 mailing charge per transaction.
MARRIAGE LICENSE: $27.50
CASH (must contain EXACT AMOUNT), CHECK
MONEY ORDERS ACCEPTED
ALL FEES ARE NON-REFUNDABLE.
- Requirements to Obtain an Orleans Parish Marriage License
- Application to Obtain an Orleans Parish Marriage License
- Officiant Registration Affidavit
- Covenant Marriage Information and Forms
- 24-Hour Waiver