Each year, millions of individuals get the flu. While many are ill for about a week and view the flu as nothing more than an inconvenience, there are many populations for whom the flu can be deadly.
The Department of Health and Hospitals, Office of Public Health in Region 5 will begin distributing flu vaccine, giving priority to high-risk groups.
The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention defines high-risk groups that need to receive the influenza vaccine by the following criteria:
• People aged 65 years or older
• Residents of long-term care facilities
• Persons aged 2-64 with chronic diseases
• Children aged 6 to 59 months
• Children 6 months to 18 years of age on chronic aspirin therapy
• All women who will be pregnant during influenza season
It is very important that those who do not fall into these high-risk groups delay getting their flu shots until those who most need it have received theirs.
Flu shots are available in the Lake Charles area at the locations below:
* Cameron Parish Walk-In Clinic Sites:
Cameron Office of Emergency Preparedness
122 Recreation Lane, Cameron
Walk-In Clinic Cameron
Tuesday, Nov. 28, 9 a.m. - 3 p.m.
Thursday, Nov. 30, 12:30p.m. - 2:30p.m.
Grand Lake Recreation Center
108 Recreation Lake, Grand Lake
Walk-In Clinic Grand Lake
Wednesday, Nov. 29, 9 a.m. – 3 p.m.
Johnson Bayou Recreation Center
135 Berwick Road, Cameron
Walk-In Clinic Johnson Bayou
Thursday, Nov. 30, 9 a.m. – 11a.m.
* Allen Parish Health Unit – Oakdale
145 Hospital Drive, Oakdale
By appointment ONLY
Each Tuesday, between 8 a.m. – 11:30a.m.
* Beauregard Parish Health Unit
216 Evangeline Street, DeRidder
By appointment ONLY
Each Wednesday, between 8 a.m. - 3:30 p.m.
* Calcasieu Parish Health Unit – Lake Charles
3236 Kirkman Street, Lake Charles
Friday, Dec. 8, 12:30p.m. – 3:30 p.m,. limited number
*Tuesdays and Thursdays at this location by appointment ONLY beginning Nov. 21.
* Calcasieu Parish Health Unit – Sulphur
201 Edgar Street, Sulphur
Monday, December 11, 12:30p.m. – 3 p.m., limited number
*Wednesdays at this location by appointment ONLY beginning Nov. 22.
* Jefferson-Davis Parish Health Unit
403 Baker Street, Jennings
By appointment ONLY:
Monday, Nov. 27, 8 a.m. – 11 a.m.
Monday, Dec. 4, 8 a.m. – 11 a.m.
From Nov. 21 to Dec. 8: Every Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday and Friday at 3:15p.m.
*After these dates, influenza vaccine will be given on Mondays by appointment ONLY.