LDH confirms ninth winter storm-related death
The DeSoto Parish coroner has confirmed the death of a 74-year-old male who died from hypothermia at his residence following an extended power outage.
An official website of the State of Louisiana.
The DeSoto Parish coroner has confirmed the death of a 74-year-old male who died from hypothermia at his residence following an extended power outage.
LDH is confirming an additional winter storm-related death and providing an update to a previously reported death.
The Louisiana Department of Health (LDH) is confirming five additional winter storm-related deaths, bringing the total number of deaths in Louisiana to eight.
The Louisiana Department of Health (LDH) is confirming a third winter storm-related death. An 86-year-old man in DeSoto Parish died due to carbon monoxide poisoning.
The Louisiana Department of Health (LDH) is confirming two winter storm-related deaths in Caddo Parish. Two men died due to hypothermia, and their ages are unknown.
Residents, workers, and employers need to know the symptoms of heat illness and treatments to prevent heat stroke or death.
Heat-related illness and carbon monoxide poisoning have been the leading causes of post-storm deaths since 2020.
BATON ROUGE (September 3, 2024) – The Governor’s Office of Homeland Security and Emergency Preparedness (GOHSEP) has updated the features on the Get A Game Plan App offering people in Louisiana a new resource for developing and finalizing their emergency plans. The Get A Game Plan mobile app is designed to prepare Louisiana residents for emergency events with preparedness tools, guides and push notifications.
"This summer, the National Weather Service has issued a record number of excessive heat warnings for Louisiana," said Gov. Edwards. "The Louisiana Department of Health reports that the state has already exceeded the average number of annual heat-related emergency room visits. Additionally, drought conditions and a significant drop in the Mississippi River's water level have added stress on water supplies and agriculture.
The purpose of this RFP solicitation is to seek a contractor to assist in maintaining the ESF8 Portal and the At-Risk Registry, which must be functioning and available for use by critical healthcare facilities. The contract also includes training of users and ongoing support.
“I urge every Louisianan to prepare for the approaching Arctic outbreak and be ready to protect the four P’s – people, pets, plants, and pipes,” Gov. Edwards said. “Be sure to cover or insulate all exposed pipes and prepare for the possibility of cutting off your main water supply if you have a problem.
This brings the confirmed Louisiana storm-related death toll to 3 at this time