How To Order Death Records
Louisiana is a "closed record" state. This means that birth and death certificates are not public records. All requests for birth or death certificates must include proper identification, appropriate fees, and a completed application.
Fetal death certificates and Certificates of Birth Resulting in Stillbirth may also be ordered.
Who May Order A Death Certificate:
- Surviving spouse of the person named on the document. (Must be listed as the Surviving Spouse on the document)
- Mother or father of the person named on the document
- An adult child of the person named on the document
- Sister/brother of the person named on the document
- Grandmother or grandfather of the person named on the document
- Grandchild of the person named on the document
- A person named in a court proceeding as a member of the immediate or surviving family of the person named in the certificate.*
- The beneficiary of an insurance policy or trust (must have a signed copy of the policy listing applicant as beneficiary).*
- A universal or general legatee in judgment of possession.*
- Any beneficiary of a decedent's public pension plan, individual retirement account or other private retirement plan or pension.*
- Any beneficiary of a decedent's financial institution account, including security accounts, classified as a "payable on death account".*
- A succession representative (Must provide a certified Letter of Testamentary or Letter of Administration certified by the Clerk of Court).*
- The credentials of an attorney, together with a written declaration that he is preparing a small succession pursuant to Code of Civil Procedure Article 3431 et seq for the deceased person whose death certificate is being requested OR is representing one of the above entitled named parties (must be on letterhead and include bar roll number).*
- An agent for the surety of the person named in the certificate when the person named in the certificate is a party to a criminal bail bond. Proper documentation, including a copy of the power of attorney, shall be required by the agent for the surety requesting the certificate.*
*These requests must be submitted to the LA Bureau of Vital Records and Statistics central office in person or by mail.
You may also request Apostille copies of vital records.
There are three ways to obtain a certified copy of a Louisiana death certificate:
Vital Records Central Office
New Orleans VItal Records Walk-In Services are currently available by using VitalChek ordering and choosing the "Will Call" option for delivery. Customers will receive an email once the order has been processed and is ready to be picked up.
Walk-in Service Hours: 8:00 A.M. to 3:30 P.M. (excluding state holidays)
You may complete an application for a certified copy of a death certificate, bring your photo identification and correct fees to the Vital Records Central Office. Walk-in services accepts cash, check, money order, and credit/debit cards as forms of payment.
Please fill out an application to obtain a certified death certificate.
Clerks of Court
Participating Louisiana Clerks of Court offer certified copies of Louisiana Death Certificates for deaths occurring on or after July 7 2012. There is an additional fee for this servic
Vital Records Kiosks
Kiosk Service Locations Hours of Operation: 8:00 A.M. to 4:30 P.M. (excluding state holidays)
You may also order in person from a kiosk service location. Kiosk orders require the user to successfully complete an identity authentication screening. Once the kiosk order is placed, the order is shipped via USPS or expedited shipping, or made available for pickup at Vital Records Central Office. A security fee and shipping costs apply to kiosk orders.
You may mail your completed request, a copy of your photo identification and correct fees to:
Vital Records Registry
PO Box 60630
New Orleans, LA 70160
Please complete the application to obtain a certified death certificate and allow approximately 8-10 weeks for delivery.
INTERNET, FAX AND TELEPHONE
You may use a major credit card to place internet, fax or telephone orders through VitalChek Network, an authorized service provider. There are additional fees when using this service provider or requesting expedited services.
To order using the VitalChek Network, visit their website or call 1-877-605-8562.
If you have already placed a VitalChek Network order, you may also check the status.
To inquire about an order placed with VitalChek, please call 1-877-605-8562.
Louisiana Office of Public Health does not directly accept credit cards or online orders; however, for your convenience, you can process online requests through the independent company that we have partnered with above in order to provide you with this service, VitalChek Network, Inc. An additional fee is charged by VitalChek for using this service and all major credit cards are accepted, including American Express®, Discover®, MasterCard® or Visa®.