Training Programs in Suicide Assessment, Intervention, Treatment, and Management per Act 582:
As per the mandates of Act 582 of the 2014 Regular Legislative Session, the Department of Health is providing a list of suicide training programs available for use by Louisiana healthcare professionals and the public. Courses selected for inclusion on this list focused on "assessment, intervention, treatment and management" of suicide as per the requirements of Act 582. Awareness, alertness and peer outreach programs and school based curriculums were not included on this list.
Detailed below are a cadre of training programs from the Best Practices Registry (BPR) for Suicide Prevention which have been prior vetted by the Suicide Prevention Resource Center (SPRC). The SPRC and American Foundation for Suicide Prevention worked together to create the BPR. Additionally, the National Registry of Evidenced-based Programs and Practices (NREPP) created by the Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration (SAMHSA) provides a list of evidence-based treatment and education programs that address suicide. The NREPP models are also included in the Best Practice Registry and have been included on the Act 582 list provided by DHH. Courses fall into sections within the BPR as described below.
There are three levels of the Best Practices Registry:
1. Evidence-Based Programs - These programs have undergone rigorous evaluation and demonstrated positive outcomes.
2. Expert/Consensus Statements - Content from the statements summarize the best knowledge in suicide prevention in the forms of guidelines, protocols or consensus statements. Statements result from a collaborative process with key experts and stakeholders and/or a thorough review of the literature by a subject matter expert.
3. Adherence to Standards - This is a listing of programs, practices, policies, protocols and informational materials with content that has been reviewed by suicide prevention experts according to current program development standards and recommendations. All materials were found to meet standards of accuracy, safety, and programmatic guidelines.
SPRC Research to Practice Webinars
The SPRC Research to Practice Webinars address the science of suicide prevention in practical terms. They are designed for practitioners, researchers and others working in the field. Each webinar is 90 minutes in length and moderated by an SPRC staff member. These are archived and no certificate of completion is available. To access a list of archived webinars, visit the SPRC training institute
- Suicide Prevention in Juvenile Correctional Facilities: Curriculum and Related Webinars
- Suicide Prevention among LGBT Youth: A Workshop for Professionals Who Serve Youth
- Suicide Prevention Toolkit for Rural Primary Care
- Preventing Suicide: A Toolkit for High Schools
- After a Suicide: A Toolkit for Schools
- Promoting Mental Health and Preventing Suicide: A Toolkit for Senior Living Communities
OBH is partnering with the Louisiana Center for Prevention Resources (LCPR) to offer the Question, Persuade, and Refer suicide prevention training to Veteran Care Providers, Gatekeepers, Law Enforcement and Clergy members. This training is available until slots are full. Click here for more information.