Family Support Services & Resources
It can be difficult to find out what services and support children and youth with special health care needs and their families require. In addition to our regional Children’s Special Health Services (CSHS) clinics, staff are available to help families navigate resources and provide support to those that need it.
Family Resource Center
The Family Resource Center (FRC) is a virtual resource hub that supports pediatric providers and families of children with special health care needs by connecting them to resources in their communities and around the state. The FRC also links people to their local Families Helping Families center for ongoing support. Some of the services the FRC provides include:
- Help with school-related resources and accommodations
- Connections to support services such as early intervention, childcare assistance, insurance, and disability support
- Links to healthcare and therapy resources
- Help with finding parent-driven support organizations
- Resources to help youth transition to adulthood, including those related to employment, independent living, education, insurance, and legal affairs
- Assistance for providers interested in linking their patients and clients to resources
If you would like to connect with someone at the FRC to receive resources or refer a patient, email BFH-FamilyResourceCenter@la.gov or give us a call at (504) 896-1340 (Monday - Friday, 8am - 4pm).
Community Resource Specialists
We partner with Families Helping Families (FHF) to provide families of children and youth with special healthcare needs with statewide parent-to-parent support. FHF works to help these children (with and without disabilities) gain independence and integrate into the community through resource linkage services, peer support, education, and training.
FHF Community Resource Specialists are available to help families navigate resources and services that can help them. They have the knowledge and skills to work families of children with special health care needs. Community Resource Specialists can help you and your child by providing:
- Help with accessing services
- Peer and emotional support
- Referrals to medical and support services
- Connections to other parents with children and youth with special health care needs
Find out who the Community Resource Specialist is in your region! Click here for a listing of their contact information.
Our top recommended resources for children with special health care needs and their families include:
- Exceptional Lives Louisiana is an online resource to help families navigate disability-related systems and a directory of related services and providers by Zip Code.
- Louisiana Parent Training & Information Center (PTI) provides tools and resources to assist families of children with special health care needs to be an active participant in their child’s education.
- Smooth Moves YHT has tools to help youth build the skills needed for independence and transition to adult services.
- Governor’s Office of Disability Affairs is an informational resource for people with disabilities, their families, and the agencies that serve them.
- CSHS Resource Hub has local, regional, and national resources for children with special health care needs and their families