Pre-Adoption Birth Certificates
Parental Contact Preference Form - To Be Completed By Biological Parents Only
Louisiana law now allows a birth parent to place a parent Contact Preference Form in the "sealed file" of the child who was adopted. The birth parent(s) may state his or her wishes regarding being contacted. The completed form will be placed in an envelope with the original birth certificate. The Contact Preference Form is considered a private communication from the birth parent to the child and no copies of the form will be given to anyone other than the child.
If the adult adopted person requests a copy of their original birth certificate after the Contact Preference Form has been filed, that form will be given to the adult adopted person along the pre-adoption birth certificate. The information on the birth certificate in the file is shown as it was provided by the birth parent(s) at the time of birth. The law does not require the adult adopted person to follow the preference as stated by the parent on the form.
Adoptee Information for Obtaining Pre-Adoption Birth Certificates
Louisiana law directs the State Registrar to establish a new birth certificate after an adoption takes place. The new birth certificate is substituted for the original birth certificate in the files, and the original birth certificate is placed in a "sealed file." (LA RS 40:73). In the 2022 Regular Legislative Session, the legislature amended the vital records adoption laws to allow an adopted person who is 24 years of age or older whose original birth certificate was placed in a "sealed file" to obtain a non-certified copy of the original birth certificate from the State Registrar.
Who May Request a Copy
- The person named on the birth certificate - no other family member.
- The person must be 24 years of age or older.
- The person must have been born in Louisiana.
- The person must have had an original birth certificate removed from the files due to an adoption.
What Will the Applicant Receive
- The applicant will receive a copy of the original birth certificate clearly marked that it is not a certified copy and it may not be used for legal purposes. The information on the birth certificate in the file is shown as it was provided by the birth parent(s) at the time of birth. These documents do not contain medical or other information about the birth parents.
- The revision of the law in 2022 allows birth parent(s) to submit a Contact Preference Form which will be placed in the sealed file upon receipt. If a Contact Preference Form is in the file at the time the original birth record is requested, it will be sent to the applicant.
How Should These Records Be Ordered
- Applicants must clearly state they are seeking their original birth record prior to adoption if you are not able to use the application form below. Without this information, we will send the current legal record.
- Must submit proper fees and valid acceptable photo identification document.
- Complete the Adoptee Application for Pre-Adoption Birth Certificate
Persons who apply for a copy of a Birth and/or a Pre-Adoption certificate must submit a copy of their identification in the form of one primary document or two secondary documents. Please refer to the Identification Requirements for more information.
Adoptee Application for Pre-Adoption Birth Certificate
These records cannot be ordered over the Internet since we must have the applicant's original signature on the request.
If you are not able to use the application form, you may send a letter containing the following information to locate your current legal record:
- Your full name as it appears on your current legal birth certificate
- Date of birth
- Parish of birth
- Full maiden name of mother as it appears on your current legal birth certificate
- Full name of father as it appears on your current legal birth certificate
- Your mailing address and telephone number where we can reach you during the day
- Your original signature and date of signature
Documentation of a Change of Name
If the name on your ID is different from your name at the time of your adoption, you must provide documentation that will prove you are the person listed on the birth record. (For applications by mail, attach an original certified copy of the requested documentation. Your original documents will be returned to you with the completed order). For example:
- If your ID shows a married name, provide a copy of your marriage certificate that shows your name as it appears on your current (adoptive) birth certificate and your name after marriage as it appears on your ID.
- If your ID reflects a legal change of name, provide a certified copy of your legal change of name decree that shows your name as it appears on your current (adoptive) birth certificate and your legal name as decreed by a court and as appears on your ID.
Sending the Request for Pre-Adoption Certificate
Please be sure to sign and date the request. The request will not be processed unless it is signed by the applicant. Include the non-refundable fee of $15.50 for processing the request. Checks or money orders should be made payable to "Louisiana Vital Records."
Mail the application or letter of request along with fees and ID to:
Louisiana Vital Records
Attn: Pre-Adoption Certificates
P.O. Box 60630
New Orleans, LA 70160
For more information, call (504) 593-5100.